Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Well im back and need to just let people know that my last few posts are a reflection on my horrible year, 2009, not this year..hope that cleared that up..

Ok so following on with what happened last year, after the car accident, i finally got a new car and then the worse phone call a parent could receive, your child was in an accident and is in hospital, the burns unit in a critical condition.

My world once again spun out of control. I recall the first moment i saw my son, wrapped up not recognisable, burnt all over, and the smell...we wont go there...lots of drugs later he was moved to anothe room, he was in soo much pain, but he was going to be in so much more before his stay in hospital was over..

First up debriding, where they scrub the burns to take off the dead skin...so much pain...but he was recognisable, his skin red raw. his face and neck was ok only flash burns, thank god for small miracles, his right arm his chest were severly burnt and his legs were burnt so severly, they hoped they could save them.

First day of skin grafts, he went in and came out, again so much pain. They took the grafts from his back for his chest and legs, but ran out of skin. He was to go back in and have the skin from his buttocks and groin removed for more grafting of his arms.
More operations more pain.
My life was a blur, hospitals, home, work, hospital, weekends spent in the hospital tending to his needs. My home life struggled without me, i neglected Jack i didnt cook, i didnt clean, i didnt sleep, i didnt eat. One night i was comming home from hospital and nearly crashed the car, that was a wake up call. I worked out a plan with his father, i would do weekedays he would do weekends..

A small miracle though had occured in my home without me hardly recognising it. One day after comming home at midnight, i walked into a clean house with a freezer full of meals cooked and reaqdy to go...
The most amazing people who i worked with had come and cleaned and cooked for me and my family..I cried for the first time, really cried. The support for me and my family made me stronger.

Michael physically improved and his spirits also..
Body suits were made to order, bandages came off, months later he was ready to go home, but once again i was unprepared for the out comes....
More on that later..
Here are some photos of my brave son...
Quite a few hours after settling into a room, day one...




after debridement... day three








I have done some scrapping..will share later...

1 comment:

Melanie H said...

Goodness me, what a awful experience for you all. How is Michael now?

What wonderful friends you have.
I hope you are recovering now.